An estate preserved
The South front was the original entrance to Court House.
Colonel Lyle built a passageway between Strode and Court houses, which helped the family stay dry...
Farmyards surrounded Strode House until they were converted by Colonel Lyle's wife into gardens.<...
The avenue was created after 1917. The trees provided conkers to Barrington Court's visitors.
The Long Gallery: before the repairs
Our Long Gallery has seen a few things in its time. During the English Civil War in the 1660s, 500 Parliamentary soldiers were billeted here.
When Canon Rawnsley visited before the National Trust got the house in 1907, he described the Long Gallery as being full of holes, providing a great home for owls. As you stride the length of this great room, imagine who else has trodden here before you.
The Long Gallery today
The Long Gallery is 40 paces long and runs the whole length of the attic floor. Long galleries provided space for indoor exercise and their long walls were useful for hanging family portraits.
Our Long Gallery walls are made from Colonel Lyle's panelling collection and contain wonderful examples of marquetry. This is an impressive space - great for people today to walk (or run) up and down in.
Colonel Lyle's legacy
Who was Colonel Lyle?
- Colonel Lyle leased Barrington Court from the National Trust in 1917.
- He was the grandson of Abram Lyle, who introduced Golden Syrup.
- He was a soldier in the City of London Regiment, Royal Fusiliers.
- He was an avid collector of wooden panelling and other historic items.
- Three generations of his family lived here, the last leaving in 1991.
Court House from the South Lawn
This image was taken in around 1917 and shows some of the many apple trees which were here at the time. Note also the lean-to building (since demolished) attached to the main house.
The hounds at Barrington Court
Hunting, particularly beagling was an important pastime for the Lyles at one time. This image shows the pack outside Court House.
Court House with orchards
This image was taken in around 1917, before the Court House was restored. It is interesting as it shows yet more apple trees growing right up to the house and that the main steps were not then present. Today, the orchard has gone from here but there are still many left on the estate.