Things to see & do
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
- The phonograph playing Kipling's verse set to music
- The pet's graveyard
- The newsreel of Kipling on the ipad in the study
- A 1930's radio playing extracts of Kipling's unusual life
- Our busy beehives
- The alphabet necklace from the Just So Story
- The wonderfully scented herb border
- Poet's Corner - take time to read a poem or two sitting by the river
Are you up for the 50 things to do before your 11¾ challenge? Start ticking them off your list at Bateman's. You can fly a kite, climb a hill, hunt for bugs or call an owl. Discover the full list of outdoor adventures on the 50 Things website and start earning your badges
Kev our ranger and volunteers have carried out a wildflower survey of the Donkey Field. This is one of our in-hand meadows in which we have managed to encourage a greater diversity of wildflowers by taking a hay cut in late August and then grazing with rare breed Manx Loaghtan sheep in winter. We’ve added some new species to our list already this year but the find of the day has to be the Green-Winged Orchid, just a single proud specimen growing in the middle of the field. It's a sure sign that our nature conservation work at Bateman’s is starting to pay dividends and is well worth a visit to see more.