Belton venison casserole
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 500g diced Belton venison
- 3 thick rashers smoked bacon
- 1 large white onion roughly chopped
- 250g mushrooms
- 350ml red wine
- 1pt chicken stock
- sprig of thyme or rosemary
- Remove venison from the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas Mark 2.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed casserole pan.
- Fry off onions until soft but avoid browning them.
- Add chopped bacon and venison and stir over medium heat until browned.
- If needed, use some stock to deglaze the pan before adding remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, season as required before putting lid on the casserole and placing in the oven.
- Cook for at least 1.5hrs, checking occasionally during cooking.
- Thicken with cornflour if desired.