Berrington was saved for the nation in 1957 because it is one of the few masterpieces of the famous architect Henry Holland (1746-1806) to survive intact. His villa of 1778-83 was compactly and intricately planned to sit on a new site selected by the aging ‘Capability’ Brown, who had laid out the new park. The almost complete survival of Holland’s internal scheme gives Berrington its international significance.
Thomas Harley commissioned Henry Holland, the son-in-law of ‘Capability’ Brown, to build the house around 1778.
The homecoming of the 7th Lord Rodney with his new wife. He later sold the house to clear debts.
Fredrick Cawley purchased the estate in 1901 and his family lived here until it came into our care 1954.
Close-up of the top of a lapis blue scagliola column and elaborate plasterwork in the Boudoir.
The ironing stove in the Laundry with its collection of irons and a long handled refuelling shovel.
One of the early 20th century Aubusson-Felletin tapestries in the hall commissioned by the first Lord Cawley.
On the dining room ceiling, the central inset roundel was painted in the style of Biagio Rebecca.
The main staircase with bronzed balustrade and decorated ceiling is a central feature of the house
- Seeing one of the few residences designed by the famous Henry Holland to remain largely intact.
- Learning how the 7th Lord Rodney’s fortune changed until he eventually lost his riches, his estate and his wife.
- Viewing the exquisite 18th-century French neo-classical decorations in the ground floor rooms.
- Finding out what happened to Lord Cawley’s butler and see how the servants lived ‘below stairs’.
- Seeing the house in its ‘Capability’ Brown landscape and the panoramic views towards Wales.