Enter the Best Dressed Boat competition
Latest update 01.08.2014 15:23
Sunday 10 August, 1pm - Derwent Water
Let your imagination run riot and create a weird and wonderful fancy dress not only for yourself and your friends, but also for your boat!
At 1pm on Sunday 10 August, spectators at Crow Park will be ready to cheer and applaud a sail-past of all the entries in the Best Dressed Boat competition. Last years winners 'Pocky's Pirates' sailed demurely past, before zooming up to the beach, leapt out of the boat with cutlasses brandished and distributed pieces of eight in the form of chocolate - so, the bar has been set pretty high!
How to enter
There's no complicated entry form, all you need to do is contact one of the launching sites who will give you details about where and when to launch your fancy-dress craft, and will give you all the instructions on where on the lake to assemble.
Prizes will be awarded on Crow Park at 2.30pm next to King Pocky's cannon.
- Nichol End Marine - tel 017687 73082
- Derwent Water Marina - tel 017687 72912
- Keswick Foreshore, Keswick Launch Company (NB no parking) - tel 017687 72263
- Kettlewell National Trust - limited parking, trailers to be left at Great Wood car park - tel 017687 74649
We ask that you respect the access rights of the people who live on Derwent Water Foreshore and do not park vehicles or boat trailers along the foreshore. Parking is available at the other launching sites.
The assembly points will depend on the direction of the wind and will be confirmed on the day - please contact the launching sites for final confirmation
- Wind from the North - assemble off Isthmus bay (travelling south)
- Wind from the South - assemble off Friar's Crag (travelling north)
On the water Instructions
Keswick launch will lead the fleet of best dressed boats. NB scheduled launch services across the lake will continue as usual, so for your own safety please stay in station behind the launch at the head of the parade. The Launch driver will be in radio contact with the ticket office who will announce the safe start for the boats to proceed about 1pm.
- Traveling South - assemble north west side of the Isthmus (out of sight of Crow Park so we don't spoil the surprise). The launch will lead you from Isthmus Bay, across Crow Park bay as close in to shore as possible, then south between Derwent Island and the mainland, past Friars Crag. Once past Friar's Crag the fleet can disperse and you can enjoy the water. If your boat is small enough to land on Crow Park (and the weather allows) after you've finished enjoying the lake, circumnavigate Derwent Island and return to land on Crow Park for prize giving at 2.30pm. If you are unable to land on the Park please send a representative to the Park in case you are a winner!
- Traveling North – assemble south east side of Friars Crag (out of sight of Crow Park so we don't spoil the surprise). The launch will lead you past Friars Crag, Derwent Isle, Crow Park, and back around Derwent Island to the start near Lords Island. If your boat is small enough to land on Crow Park (and the weather allows) after you've finished enjoying the lake, circumnavigate Derwent Island and return to land on Crow Park for prize giving at 2.30pm. If you are unable to land on the Park please send a representative to the Park in case you are a winner!
Please control your speed at all times in order to keep a safe distance between you and the boat ahead - the boat that's behind will have responsibility to keep their distance.
Our advice is that you to check the times and routes of the regular Keswick Launch services around the lake so that you can avoid them.
If the Best Dressed Boat sail-past needs to be cancelled due to weather conditions we will put an emergency note on our webpage here. Please also check with the launching sites.
Best of luck and may the fanciest dress win!