Brimham Rocks bilberry turnovers
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- 125g (4oz) margarine
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp cold water
- Jar of bilberry jam or preserve
- 1 egg (beaten into an egg wash)
- Raw demerara sugar
- Sift flour into a large bowl and stir in the sugar. Rub in margarine lightly until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Bind with the water, adding small amounts first and more if needed. Knead lightly on a floured board until smooth. Wrap with cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry out to about 5mm thick and cut out into circles using a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass.
- Place a dollop of jam in the centre of each pastry circle.
- Fold dough in half and crimp the edge by pressing down with a pointy object such as a kebab skewer or meat thermometer.
- Brush dough with egg wash and place a cut-out of a flower or other design on top. Apply a second coat of egg wash and a sprinkling of raw sugar.
- Place on greased baking tray or on parchment paper. Bake at 200C for approx 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.