Things to see & do
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
- A coastal walk with views of Chesil Beach, the longest shingle bank in Europe
- Watching the sun set over Lyme Bay from the beach or clifftops
- The unspoilt and easily accessible beach
- Great food and amazing views at the award-winning Hive Beach Café
- Spectacular views from Portland Bill to Start Point on a clear day
- A stroll around the pretty village, tucked away behind the beach
- A friendly chat with our knowledgeable car park team
- Tamarisk Farm Shop's delicious organic meat
Sunday 20 July, 11am-3pm
Create a sculpture or some wild art using materials found on the beach - there's a prize for the best creation. If you take part you can tick off number 18 from the 50 things list. Fantastic family fun.
Meet at Hive Beach. £3 per entry.
Walking is always wonderful at Burton Bradstock but there's something very special about this time of year. The surrounding countryside is lush and green, the hedgerows are a tangle of wildflowers, and the Burton cliffs glow bright gold in the warm sunshine. Stride out along the the South West Coast Path to enjoy magnificent views along the Jurassic Coast, meander around the pretty village or make the most of longer days with an evening stroll on the beach.
All that fresh sea air will give you an appetite - a great excuse to sample some of the scrumptious food available in the local area.
Treat yourself at the award-winning Hive Beach Café or visit the nearby farm shops (ideal for hamper supplies) for a true taste of West Dorset.
More wildflowers begin to flower in June than in any other month. At Burton top spots include:
- Pretty pink thrift in abundance
- Sea kale in flower on the shingle
- Hawthorn and elderflower in the hedgerows
- Bugle and scarlet pimpernel in the pastures
- The rare gromwell at Cogden
- Adder's tongue fern on Bindbarrow
Are you up for an outdoor adventure in 2014? This year we're aiming to really promote each different activity on the 50 things to do before you’re 11¾ list. We hope that by showing you the best places to do each 50 things activity in West Dorset, and holding some special 50 things events, families can have unforgettable experiences while exploring our special places.