The project viewing tower at Castle Drogo
See Castle Drogo as never before with a trip up the viewing tower. This is an exhilarating opportunity to climb 86 steps and look down onto the building work taking place on the roof of the castle.
Join our expert tour guides who will explain what the builders are doing and what an extensive project this is. Most days you will be able to see the builders doing things such as steam cleaning the stone and taking it off the roof, taking out mortar and repointing or laying the roof membrane.
'Visit was really good. Seeing roof was amazing, the two tour guides were very good', commented one visitor in January 2015.
“Being able to go up the scaffolding tower-fantastic” October 2014.
We aim to open the project viewing tower every day 11am-4.30pm but access to the tower is subject to weather and volunteer staffing. On busy days there may be a short queue. There are restrictions including;
• Visitors must wear sturdy, secure shoes, no ballet pumps, heels or flip flops. Stout walking sandals are allowed but these must be secured onto your feet over the heel and foot.
• You must be over 1.5m (4ft 11in) tall.
• No baby carriers are allowed.
• Every visitor under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a participating adult (on a 1:1 ratio).
• Rucksacks and larger bags must be left at the base of the tower.
• You need a head for heights and to be physically fit as the tower is 20 metres high.