A history of the Clumber Park Chapel
The Chapel is a masterpiece of Gothic Revival architecture, designed by G.F Bodley (1827-1902) and considered one of the finest examples of his work.
Commissioned by the 7th Duke of Newcastle, construction began on the Chapel in 1886. The main structure took three years to complete with the Opening Ceremony taking place on 22 October 1889.
Much of the interior was designed by Watt’s & Co - a company set up by Bodley, Garner and Scott to rival that of William Morris.
Later additions - such as the gilded stone statuary in the nave - were added by J.N. Comper (1864-1960) and the Rev. E. Geldart (1848-1929), some of whose work can be seen in the choir stalls.
C.E Kempe (1837-1907), a leading light in stained glass and closely associated with the Pre-Raphaelite movement, was responsible for the majority of the windows in the Chapel.Please note: Service will not be running on Sunday 30th August 2015 and visiting times to The Chapel will be limited on this day. Please contact visitor enquiries on 01909 544 917 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.