Things to see & do
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Ideas for your holiday
- Sail on 'Gondola' and get off somewhere to explore
- Find the 'money tree' as you follow the trail round Tarn Hows
- Spot the Belted Galloways and Herdwicks in the valleys and on the fells
- See the Coniston fells from the east shore and get a different viewpoint
- Hire a bike and take to the tracks and trails
Five ways to get out and enjoy this lovely area
Walk past waterfalls, and enjoy the iconic beauty spots around Tarn Hows.
A short circular walk up from Glen Mary NT car park, the initial ascent up Tom Gill has uneven paths alongside steep drops with two rock scrambles. Probably more suited to those with a bit of walking experience.
Hard to believe now but this area once thrived on industry; the remains of mines, slate quarrying and lime kilns are the only reminders now of a bygone age. On this walk in the Yewdale valley you can see the remains of a lime kiln and imagine the life it represented years ago.