A thousand years of history
Founded during the reign of William the Conqueror, Corfe Castle was a royal fortress for 500 years.
In 1635 it became the property of the Bankes family and in 1982 it passed into the ownership of the National Trust.
Get a taste of life in a castle
Whether you’re young or old, our castle tours offer a great way to bring the castle ruins to life.
An expert guide will place this dramatic ruined castle in its geographical and historical context.
For schools and colleges
Key Stage 1
- Discover what life was like in a castle
- Homes now and then
Key Stages 2 & 3
- Past events, people and changes
- Corfe Castle: A thousand years of history
- Links to medieval realms
Higher education and adult learning
- Architectural stonework conservation (HND, undergraduate, masters)
- Guided walks looking at the historic landscape of Purbeck, the stone industry and farming (adult learning)