The House at Coughton Court

Aerial view of the Lime trees from the Tower roof © /Claire Blackburn

Aerial view of the Lime trees from the Tower roof

Coughton Court provides a spectacular setting to discover the Throckmorton family’s journey from danger to triumph.

The Grade I mansion of Coughton Court has been home to the Throckmorton family for more than six centuries and so has understandably been updated on many occasions. The upper part of the gatehouse dates to between 1518 and 1530 and the lower part probably predates this as it differs stylistically and materially from the towering floors above.

The house was damaged during the Civil War but repairs included the extension of the south wing. A chapel is believed to have been in the east wing at this time, which was the target of local Protestants during the Glorious Revolution of 1688. The damaged wing stood for a further century before being demolished during major refurbishment work in the 1780s. The rubble was used to fill in the moat which once surrounded the house.

The last major remodelling work took place in the Saloon. Formerly a chapel, it was extended to become a party room in 1910. At this time the elaborate chandeliers were installed as was the displaced Jacobean staircase from Harvington Hall and panelling from other abandoned Throckmorton residences.

Stableyard and Tudor kitchens
Other important buildings at Coughton Court include the Stableyard, which is Grade II* listed, with stabling facilities dating back to the 1700s, and the restaurant and tea rooms which were the original Tudor kitchens, dating back to the 1500s. Even now you can see the enormous fireplace and bread ovens. The Tudor kitchens were deliberately built away from the house to prevent fire, but they were connected by a bridge over the now filled-in moat.

The gardens
The gardens to the rear of the house were significantly re-landscaped in the 1990s; work which saw an empty Walled Garden transformed to one thriving with life and mystery. Archaeological finds from the Stone Age have indicated that Coughton Court has been used for millennia and the remains of a deserted medieval village still lie under the Front Park.