Wonderful Welsh Cakes
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
450 g (1lb) Self raising flour
225g (8oz) Caster sugar
225g (8oz) Butter
115g (4oz) Currants or sultanas
Top Tip: For a break in tradition, why not try it with cherries instead of currents?
Whilst preparing your cooking station, put the put in hot water until your ready to use them.
1. Put self raising flour, caster sugar and butter into a large mixing bowl and rub the mixture through your fingers until it has the consistency of bread crumbs.
2. Add the currents and mix until evenly spread.
3. Dig a well into the middle of the mixture and gradually add your whisked eggs. You don’t want the mixture to be too wet or too dry so take it slow and if it’s to wet, add a little more flour, too dry, crack another egg.
4. Split the mixture into manageable sizes and roll to about a centimetre. Don't forget to put some flour on your surface to stop it sticking.
5. Use a cake cutter to cut the shapes and place on a hot surface to cook for around 1-2 minutes each side or until brown.
6. Place on a cooling try until ready to eat. Enjoy! (Mwynhau!)