This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
The 'informal' garden
Dudmaston’s garden has year round appeal, with many different varieties of plants and a rolling landscape leading the eye across Big Pool and onto the Shropshire Hills beyond. They are popular with young and old for their 'informal' relaxed ambiance.
Spring is the favourite season of our gardeners, as the gardens are really at their best during the months April through to June. Why not have a chat to them when you see them working to hear more about our garden vision or to pick up some tips.
We are planning the vegetable garden for the Spring, and I shall prune the roses soon, mid-March here. The snow has battered them. I have seen a few short-stemmed primroses and buds of hypatica (anemone)
Extract from her diary 2 March 1952
April jobs for your garden
- Mulch the borders to help suppress weeds as well as improve nutrient levels, soil texture and water retention.
- Feed hungry plants like roses with a fertilizer that contains a good amount of organic matter.
- Protect tender plants from late frosts.
- Lift and divide any herbaceous plants that have become too large.
- Continue cutting the grass, provided it is not too wet. Keep reducing by 1/3rd until you have the desired height and maintain with a twice weekly mow for the best results.