The stairs behind the locked door
From the outside our top floor looks like an extra and enticing floor, in reality it's mostly dusty attic space in the eaves.
During most of the 20th century the attics were used for storing produce from the garden. Apples were laid out on paper in every available space on the floor and turned weekly to keep them fresh.
Now the Wright family still use the space as storage.
Sealed in time by glass
With 340 years of history and 11 generations living in the hall, it was just too tempting for some of the inhabitants to leave their marks.
Many of the windows have writing on them, the glass was softer and could easily be written on with a nib.
Modern among the traditional
Have you visited us before and ever wondered where the bathroom was?
Don’t worry, the current owners of the hall do have modern bathroom facilities - it's been a family home for 350 years after all - we just don’t display them.
Below the floors
We have half a cellar for storage, hidden behind the stairs. Currently housing a collection of steel safes collected by the family over the years, now completely empty we're afraid.
The body book
In our library we have 1,042 titles, but one of the hidden gems an anatomy book with pull out sections – too fragile to have on display.
Dessert with a view
Ever wondered what the curious building in the garden was built for?
Banqueting houses were the height of fashion in the 1600s, offering a retreat for small private parties to enjoy sweets after dinner and cosy conversation, with views over the summer gardens on three sides.
Day to day with Peter Wright
Peter Wright (1781 – 1862) lived in Eyam Hall his whole life with his two sisters. He ran Eyam Hall as a farm, using the craft centre as his farm buildings.
We are lucky enough to have his day diaries which he kept up to date most of his working life, cataloguing the weather, his crops, medicine treatments he used for both animals and humans, and even what he named his new born calves.