Things to see & do
Places to discover
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
There are some great walks around Fowey, with dramatic stretches of the South West Coast Path weaving through woodlands and around creeks. There's a quick walk around Covington woods, or if you've got more time then try Hall walk which weaves around both sides of the estuary or take in the panoramic views from the Gribbin.
Geocaching is a great way to combine technology with a good old fashioned treasure hunt. We've hidden caches all around, so all you need is a GPS device or a smart phone to get started. Every time you find the treasure trove, choose something from the stash and leave something else for the next person.
Register on the geocaching website and then record each find.
- Stout footwear is advisable as many paths can be muddy
- Please be aware of dangerous cliff edges and unstable cliffs
- Currents and winds can make swimming hazardous
- Please watch the tide. Don't get cut off by rising water
- Keep children supervised
- Avoid getting between farm animals and their young
- Please keep your dog under close contol when lifestock are present
- If ponies or cows approach you let your dog off the lead
There are lots of great fishing marks around the Fowey estuary, both on shore and sea. Try your hand at catching bass, mackerel, wrasse, congor eels and pollock.
Read why Fred loves fishing here
Find out how to get out on the water and explore the stunning wooded creeks of the Fowey estuary. The view from the water brings a new perspective of the land we manage.
There are various places to launch your own canoe as well as self-hire and guided trips to join. Look at this short video clip of Sal out on the water.
Sailing and boating
Fowey has been an international trading port since the middle ages and is still a magnet for visiting yachtsmen today. The deep water makes it easy to get in and out at any tide and there are plenty of self-hire boats and boat trips available.
- More about the Fowey Harbour Commission
- Charter yachts and ribs or train with the Fowey Maritime Centre
- Hire dinghies and windsurfers at Polkerris