Stubbins Estate Walk

Stubbins Estate near Ramsbottom, Lancashire

Route details and mapDownload as a print friendly PDF
View of Stubbins and Peel Tower © National Trust

View of Stubbins and Peel Tower

Buckden Wood in the Stubbins Estate © National Trust

Buckden Wood in the Stubbins Estate

The Tentering Tower © National Trust

The Tentering Tower

Route overview

In 1947, Colonel Austin Townsend Porritt gave The Stubbins Estate to the National Trust. This included 436 acres of farmland and a small portion of Holcombe Moor for public access and pleasure. This walk circles part of the Stubbins Estate. It is just under 2 miles or 3 km in length and although it covers rough terrain is achievable in an hour.

Route details

See this step-by-step route marked on a map

An OS map showing the Stubbins Estate Walk
  • Directions
  • Route
  • Bus stop
  • Parking
  • Toilet
  • Viewpoint

Start: The bottom of Red Lees pasture

  1. Start at the bottom of Red Lees pasture

  2. Proceed westwards for approximately half a mile, past Lower Red Lees farm, to the Helmshore Road.

    Show/HideViews of the local countryside

    The viewpoint marked on the map gives extensive views of the local countryside and on a clear day the centre of Manchester is clearly visible to the south with the Derbyshire Pennines on the distant horizon.

    View of Stubbins and Peel Tower © National Trust
  3. From here the route follows Helmshore Road for almost half a mile to the north of Buckden Wood.

  4. From here there is a short descent for another half a mile east through Buckden Wood to The Cliffes.

    Show/HideBuckden Wood

    Mature oak, birch, alder and aspen grow in Buckden Wood and to the west a beech and sycamore plantation provides shade in summer. Hawthorne, holly and willow provide good cover for wildlife while bracken, heather, bilberry and bluebells are examples of the floral ground-cover.

    Buckden Wood in the Stubbins Estate © National Trust
  5. Here the route veers to the south

  6. At the end of Porrit’s Lodge the route passes through a gate on the right and passes the rear of the castellated Tentering Tower.

    Show/HideThe Tentering Tower

    The Tentering Tower is an unusual building in that its purpose seems to have been twofold. It served both as part of the textile industry and also to act as a point of focus in the landscape. Tentering involved the stretching and drying of cloth fixed to wooden frames by a series of sharply pointed hooks. The factory of which it was part was built in 1877 by a local textile manufacturing family, Porritt.

    The Tentering Tower © National Trust

End: The route ends back at Red Lees pasture

  • Trail: Walking
  • Grade: Moderate
  • Distance: 2 miles
  • Time: 1 hour
  • OS Map: Explorer 287
  • Terrain:

    Footpaths with climbs and descents. Not suitable for pushchairs.

  • How to get here:

    The Stubbins Estate Walk can be accessed from the A676 (Stubbins Road), turning onto Stubbins Street which leads to the public footpath. Follow the footpath to the left to begin the walk at Red Lees pasture. There is only on street parking.

  • Contact us