Things to see & do
Explore this special place
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Thursday 28 August, 11am & 2pm
Join Mike for an introduction to maps and orientating with a compass and try to follow a short route around Stonebarrow. You can then tick off number 45 on the list of 50 things to do before you're 11 ¾, find your way with a map and compass.
Go car free this summer and enjoy a care free coast walk through National Trust countryside. Why not follow the South West Coast Path from West Bay to Charmouth? You can stop for lunch at the Anchor Inn at Seatown and use the X53 bus service to return to your start point.
Did you know...?
- The old stone track at St Gabriel's was once the main London to Exeter road
- It's estimated that the coastline was a mile further out in the Iron Age (4,000 years ago)
- The photogenic estate has been used as a filming location for various films and TV dramas
- Over 25 miles of footpaths crisscross the estate - paradise for walkers
- The soft cliffs to the east of Golden Cap are the top habitat in the whole country for invertebrates
- The estate has a very ancient landscape dating back to the 16th century
Our pick of 50 things to do before you’re 11 ¾ activities to experience this month:
- Go swimming in the sea - the water's nicely warmed up now
- Jump over waves - fun for all the family
- Pick blackberries growing in the wild - they're out early this year
- Cook on a campfire - on a warm summer evening
- Go on a walk barefoot - through the freshly cut hay meadows
We're on Facebook. Been exploring the estate? Trying some 50 things activities in the school summer holidays?
Share your photos of things you've got up to or the wildlife you've seen - we love to hear from you.
Our rangers post regular updates so it's a great place to get all the latest news.
The whole estate - the hedgerows, woodland, cliffs, fields and grassland, ponds and streams and heathland - is teeming with wonderful wildlife.
In the summer months we've recorded 20 different species of butterfly including the common blue. What will you spot on your visit?
The Golden Cap Estate is definitely best explored on foot, from walking and running to following a smugglers' trail or hunting for geocaches.
Naturally, summer is an idyllic time to follow some of the spectacular South West Coast Path which runs through the estate. Cloudless blue skies provide far-reaching views along the Jurassic Coast, and the hedgerows and meadows are awash with wildflowers.