Things to see & do
Explore this special place
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
We have regular outdoor events on the estate in the spring and summer months. They include family-friendly trails in the holidays, 50 things themed activities, and informative guided walks with our rangers.
We also work with external organisations hosting events on the estate, including the annual Charmouth Challenge run in July.
All 2,000 acres (800 hectares) of the Golden Cap Estate lie within the Dorset Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
The Dorset AONB is one of a family of protected landscapes in the UK and is working to conserve and enhance the natural beauty of almost half of Dorset's countryside.
Did you know...?
- The old stone track at St Gabriel's was once the main London to Exeter road
- It's estimated that the coastline was a mile further out in the Iron Age (4,000 years ago)
- The photogenic estate has been used as a filming location for various films and TV dramas
- Over 25 miles of footpaths crisscross the estate - paradise for walkers
- The soft cliffs to the east of Golden Cap are the top habitat in the whole country for invertebrates
Wildlife and nature highlights you might see while you're exploring the estate in early spring:
- Playful lambs frolicking in the fields
- Pussy willow and pretty primroses in the hedgerows
- A variety of small birds busy looking for nesting materials
- Gorse in flower on the heathland at Stonebarrow and Chardown
- Kestrels and ravens
The Golden Cap Estate is definitely best explored on foot, from walking and running to following a smugglers' trail or hunting for geocaches.
Spring is an idyllic time to follow some of the spectacular South West Coast Path which runs through the estate. Crisp spring days with clear blue skies provide far-reaching views along the Jurassic Coast, and all around you there are signs of nature bursting into life.
Are you up for an outdoor adventure in 2014? Our list of 50 things to do before you’re 11¾ is back and this year we're showing you the best places to do each 50 things activity in West Dorset. We’ll also be holding some special 50 things events so families can have unforgettable experiences while exploring our special places.
We're on Facebook. Been exploring the estate? Ticking off some 50 things activities? Share your pics of things you've got up to or wildlife you've seen - we love to hear from our visitors. Our rangers post regular updates so it's a great place to get all the latest news from the estate.