Things to see & do
Explore this special place
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Thursday 14 August, 11am-4pm
Polish off your cutlass, position your eye patch and join us for a swashbuckling adventure trail at Stonebarrow. You can start your self-guided trail any time between 11am and 3pm. Why not bring a pirate's picnic to enjoy before or afterwards? Fantastic family fun.
£3 per trail. Meet at Stonebarrow shop
We have regular outdoor events on the estate in the spring and summer months. They include family-friendly trails in the holidays, 50 things themed activities, and informative guided walks with our rangers.
We also work with external organisations hosting events on the estate, including the annual Charmouth Challenge run in July.
Did you know...?
- The old stone track at St Gabriel's was once the main London to Exeter road
- It's estimated that the coastline was a mile further out in the Iron Age (4,000 years ago)
- The photogenic estate has been used as a filming location for various films and TV dramas
- Over 25 miles of footpaths crisscross the estate - paradise for walkers
- The soft cliffs to the east of Golden Cap are the top habitat in the whole country for invertebrates
- The estate has a very ancient landscape dating back to the 16th century
The Golden Cap Estate is definitely best explored on foot, from walking and running to following a smugglers' trail or hunting for geocaches.
Early summer is an idyllic time to follow some of the spectacular South West Coast Path which runs through the estate. Cloudless blue skies provide far-reaching views along the Jurassic Coast, and the hedgerows and meadows are awash with wildflowers.
Are you up for an outdoor adventure in 2014? Our list of 50 things to do before you’re 11¾ is back and this year we're showing you the best places to do each 50 things activity in West Dorset. We’ll also be holding some special 50 things events so families can have unforgettable experiences while exploring our special places.
We're on Facebook. Been exploring the estate? Ticking off some 50 things activities? Share your pics of things you've got up to or wildlife you've seen - we love to hear from our visitors. Our rangers post regular updates so it's a great place to get all the latest news from the estate.