Greenway's blackcurrant ice cream
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 2 minutes
- Cooking time: 4 hours and 30 minutes
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
- 750g blackcurrants
- 225g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 400ml double cream
- Cook the currants and sugar over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the currants are softened.
- Cool the mixture and then pass it through a sieve.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Whip cream lightly to thicken.
- Add 1 tbsp of cream into purée and stir through.
- Add the purée mixture to the rest of the whipped cream.
- Freeze in an ice-cream machine. If you don't have an ice-cream machine, freeze in a freezer, taking out at hourly intervals and stirring through to break up the ice crystals.
- Enjoy. It's best eaten as soon as possible, so don't hold back.