First World War
First World War centenary at Gunby
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Throughout the National Trust we are commemorating the lives of those who were there on the battlefield and on the home front, and sharing their stories with you. From the Stamford Military Hospital at Dunham Massey to the recording of voices of WWI at Nostell Priory. Click on the link below to find out more.
- 28 June 1914 – assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand
- 28 July 1914 – Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia
- 1 August 1914 – Germany declares war on Russia
- 3 August 1914 – Germany declares war on France
- 4 August 1914 – Germany invades neutral Belgium; Britain declares war on Germany
- 30 October 1918 – Turkish Army surrenders; Turkey signs armistice with the Allies
- 3 November 1918 – Austria-Hungary signs armistice with the Allies
- 8 November 1918 – negotiations on armistice begin between Germany and the Allies
- 11 November 1918 – armistice declared; fighting ceases at 11am
- 28 June 1919 – signing of the Treaty of Versailles