The beginnings of Hanbury Hall
From the Norman Conquest onwards, the Hanbury estate was within the boundaries of the Royal Forest of Feckenham.
Feckenham's royal status was lost in 1629 and local families like the Vernons bought up land to increase their own estates. The building of the Hall started in 1701 and was designed - we believe - by William Rudhall.
Magnificent additions by Thomas Vernon
The lasting legacy of Thomas Vernon (1654–1721) includes the wall and ceiling paintings that he commissioned Sir James Thornhill to create.
These depict the story of Achilles and, having been recently restored, are Hanbury's crowning glory.
Further changes by Emma Vernon
Most notable were the changes made by Emma Vernon (1755–1818) who, after inheriting Hanbury aged 16 in 1771, used her fortune to alter the sitting room and drawing room.
When Emma eloped with the local curate, her husband Henry Cecil closed the hall and sold all of the furniture.
How we restored the garden
Funding was secured in the early 1990s for the restoration of the gardens.
Plans, maps, paintings, archaeological and geophysical techniques were used to gain a better idea of position and scale to produce the garden you see today.
The parterre: our jewel in the crown
The completion of this garden project resulted in a huge increase in Hanbury's public profile. Visitor figures started to increase dramatically.
The jewel in the crown is the magnificent parterre, which looks impressive all year round.