Clyston Mill was a busy and noisy place from harvest through to spring. Grain arrived by the wagon load, to be milled after the millers had haggled over prices with the farmers bringing their wheat.
Water from the River Clyst turned the waterwheel to drive the machinery. Two pairs of French burr millstones ground fine flour, while another pair of millstones made of millstone grit could be used for the coarser milling of animal feed. The mill has been restored to full working order by the National Trust.
16th century to 1661
There were 'twoe water griste (corn) milles and one olde Mille House' in Broadclyst.
By 1661 there were three mills in the area all working to help feed the villagers.
An indenture (deed, contract or agreement) of 1791 refers to two grist mills co-exsisting in the area.
The watermill and windmill were leased by Samuel Flood, a miller.