Victoria sponge recipe from The Kymin
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 200g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200g (8oz) caster sugar
- 5ml (1tsp) vanilla extract
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g (8oz) self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- about 90ml (6tbsp) raspberry jam
- 250ml double cream, whipped
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat the oven to 190C (170C for fan ovens)/gas mark 5.
- Grease and flour two 20cm sandwich tins.
- Put the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl, and beat to a creamy consistency.
- Slowly beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Fold in the flour and combine well.
- Divide the mix between the cake tins.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20mins, until risen and golden brown. The cakes should spring back when gently pushed in the middle.
- When ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread the jam on top of the bottom cake and top with the cream.
- Sandwich the cakes together and dust the top with icing sugar.