Moorland Discovery Centre
The Moorland Discovery Centre is a sustainably built lifelong learning centre, aimed at providing groups of all ages the opportunity to experience our wonderful moorland in the Peak District National Park.
The centre is run in partnership between the National Trust and the Peak District National Park Authority on behalf of the Moors for the Future Partnership.
'A wonderful environment to learn in and explore!' Valley Park Primary
What we offer
- Fun and engaging primary school programmes, linked to English, Geography, Art & Design, Science and much more
- INSET and professional training for teachers
- Community Group Visits
- Bespoke programmes
- Self-led programmes – Northern Hairy Wood Ant trail, natural play trail
The award winning centre is also available for corporate hire
Key Stage 1 & Foundation
Natural Crafts: This wonderful day combines sensory games with simple art activities using natural materials collected by the children.
Boggarts of the Moor: A magical day exploring the environment through the imaginary world of boggarts! Pupils take part in a variety of fun, environmental and sensory activities and make their own boggarts from clay and natural materials
A Gruffalo Story: A day full of creative play and wildlife discovery meeting the animals and mini beasts of the moors and woodland and thinking about their needs for survival (shelter, water, air, food)
Key Stage 2
Discovering Rivers: After a morning walk looking at a range of river features, schools can choose between carrying out river measurements or investigating freshwater wildlife.
Rocks and Soils: Explore the world of rocks and soils in a practical day of hands on activities. Pupils investigate rocks and soils in the environment before looking at how man has used rocks or creating soil art.
Habitats: Moorland, Woodland & Freshwater: Study one habitat or pick two to make a full day. Whichever habitat you choose, pupils will work with simple field equipment as well as learning about food chains and adaptations in a fun and stimulating way.
Inspired by the Wild: The students discover the Peak District landscape as a stimulus for creating their own piece of literacy (a story/ poem) and/or art work.
- 'A fantastic day that was relevant to our topic. The children loved every minute. Well planned, well thought out activities that were so appropriate to our age group.' Oughtibridge Primary
- 'Both children and parents absolutely loved it. Very impressed with the facilities and the organisation.' Nether Green Infants
- 'A fantastic resource that we will make very good use of this year. We will be back but with children next time!' Wybourn Primary
To book your visit or for further details please contact us via the details below. You can also find further information or a copy of our FREE teachers' pack full of games, tips and follow-up ideas on our website.
Phone 01433 637907
Address Moorland Discovery Centre, Longshaw Estate, Sheffield, S11 7TZ