- 1550 Sir Nicholas Poyntz builds a hunting lodge on the site
- 1600-1790 Various new owners enlarge the house
- 1790 James Wyatt remodels the house for the Clutterbucks
- 1790 The grounds are landscaped
- 1898 The Clutterbuck family let the house to the King family
- 1949 Mrs Clutterbuck gives the estate to the National Trust
- 1949-1969 The house is let as a nursing home
- 1970-2000 Tenants Robert Parsons & Michael Claydon rebuild the house
- 2001 The National Trust directly manages the house and garden
- 2011 The final tenant Michael Claydon moves out
Know Newark in 120 seconds
What's for dinner?
450 years of dining at Newark Park: From grand Tudor hunting feasts to Georgian fancy and 1980s charity events.
The restless dead
Newark's famous families
In 1527 Nicholas Poyntz married Joan Berkeley, from one of the most powerful Catholic families in Gloucestershire. Poyntz himself was an evangelical Protestant, and a loyal courtier and soldier. His country home was Acton Court (12 miles from Newark). When nearby Kingswood Abbey was dissolved in 1538, Poyntz exploited his royal connections to acquire it. Newark was born.
James Clutterbuck bought Newark in 1769. He was a London cloth merchant and banker with local connections. Clutterbuck had no children, and so bequeathed Newark to his first cousin, the Rev. Lewis Clutterbuck, who became rector of Ozleworth. The Rev. Clutterbuck commissioned a thorough modernisation of the house around 1790 aiming to emphasise the house's ancient history.
Newark was leased by Mrs Annie King, the widow of a wealthy Bristol shipping agent, Richard Pool King. She gave new life to the place, adding a servants' wing to the north side of the house and bringing up their five children here. The youngest daughter, Alice, lived on in the house till her death in 1949, when it was given to us by Catherine Clutterbuck.