Cinnamon and parsnip cupcakes
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
Finely grated zest of ½ orange
115g/4oz parsnips, peeled and roughly grated
140g/5oz whole hazelnuts in their skins
30g/1oz plain flour, sifted
1tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1tsp ground cinnamon
30g/1oz walnuts, roughly chopped
3 small eggs separated
100g/3 ½ oz caster sugar
Cream cheese icing
55g/2oz full-fat cream cheese
100g/3 ½ oz icing sugar
30g/1oz melted butter
Cinnamon and parsnip cupcakes are a favourite in the café at Nymans. We're often asked for the recipe so we thought we'd share it with you here.
• Preheat oven to fan 170C/gas 4.
• Put the lemon and orange zest in a large mixing bowl with ½ tablespoon of lemon juice and ½ tablespoon of orange juice. Set aside a further ½ tablespoon of each juice for the butter icing. Mix the grated parsnips into the citrus zest and juice. Set aside.
• Put the hazelnuts and flour into a food processor and whiz in short bursts until the nuts are finely ground. Add the baking powder, salt and cinnamon, quickly whiz, then tip into a bowl and mix in the walnuts.
• In a large clean dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and continue to whisk, gradually adding the remaining sugar until it is all added and the egg whites form glossy, soft peaks.
• Roughly beat the egg yolks. Using a metal spoon, fold them into the egg whites, then fold in one third of the flour mixture, then one third of the parsnips. Repeat until all the ingredients are mixed into the egg whites. Spoon into paper cases, filling each one quite full. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.
• Cool on a wire rack. Then chill for 2 hours, this firms up the cakes.
• To make the cream cheese topping, beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon using a wooden spoon. Add the reserved lemon and orange juice, then beat in the melted butter. Spread a swirl of icing on each cake and chill until firm.
• Decorate with a few hazelnuts.
Recipe from National Trust Simply Baking by Sybil Kapoor. Copyright National Trust Books 2012