From daily conservation and condition checks to the complete winter clean we’re constantly looking after our amazing collection. Find out more about what we do behind the scenes in the BBC series DVD 'Petworth House: The Big Spring Clean'.
What we're up to....
- Archaeological excavations in the park
- Checking for insect pests in the house
- Surveying the toads of Petworth Park
- Polishing the silver
- Resurfacing paths in the pleasure grounds
- Regular cleaning in the house
- Creating new outdoor trails
- Making junior ranger packs for children to explore the park with
- Condition checking some of the paintings in the house
Last summer we excavated trenches in front of the house and found evidence of the 'lost' north wing, as part of a year long archaeology project. This 2-minute video introduces the dig, excavations and subsequent exhibition. This summer's dig will focus on uncovering the 6th Duke's grand 17th century stables between the house and the upper pond.