Capon (chicken) with orange or lemon sauce
This traditional festive dish could make an interesting alternative to turkey on Christmas Day, with the added twist of a citrus sauce.
- Capon or chicken 1
- Chicken stock 575ml
- Currants 50g
- Dates 4
- Oranges, mandarins, satsumas or lemons - peeled and segmented 225g
- Ground black pepper 5tsp
- Blade mace 1tsp
- Sugar 3tbs
- Goosewater 1tbs
- White wine 150ml
- White bread - cut into large crustless cubes 225g
- Put the capon or chicken into a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently until tender. This will take anything from 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending upon the age and quality of the bird.
- Drain off 575ml of the stock. To this add the currants, dates and segments and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the fruit and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Place the bread cubes in the bottom of a serving dish and arrange the bird on top of the bread.
- Pour the flavoured stock over the bird and serve.