Vegetarian and alcohol-free Christmas pudding
This is a simple pudding that requires no time to mature, so it can be made as little as a week before its required or even made on the day and served fresh.
- Mixed dried fruits 180g
- Dates – stoned and chopped 60g
- Glace cherries – chopped 60g
- Dried apricots – chopped 60g
- Plain flour 90g
- Fresh white breadcrumbs 90g
- Dark soft brown sugar 60g
- Vegetarian spread 60g
- Carrot – grated 60g
- Cooking apple – grated 60g
- Walnuts – finely chopped 30g
- 1 Egg
- Black treacle 1tbs
- Mixed spice 1tsp
- Grated rind and juice of a lemon
- Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly, adding enough milk to give a soft dropping consistency.
- Grease a 1.2 litre pudding basin.
- Cover with greased paper and foil, tie down securely.
- Steam for 5 hours.
- Either serve immediately or let it cool uncovered, wrap in clean greased paper and foil and store until required (this will require steaming for 2 hours from cold).
Due to the lack of alcohol in this pudding, it cannot be stored long term.