'Vix ea nostra voco'
Edward Hussey III spent many happy years here with his wife and children, but only two more generations of the family have lived here since then. It is maybe for that reason that the new house has been little altered. It has always been a welcoming and sociable place, filled with books and paintings, many of which were created by the Husseys.
The attitude which Edward had about his possessions is highlighted in his family motto 'Vix ea nostra voco' which means 'I scarcely call these things our own'.
Did you know...?
- There is a secret door in the library made to look like a bookcase
- Margaret Thatcher had an apartment here during her time in office
- Richard Gere starred in a film here in 1979 called Yanks
- There are hidden priest holes in the Old Castle
- In the quarry there is the footprint of an Iguanadon