Apple and sultana cake from Sheffield Park and Garden
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 12oz margarine or butter
- 12oz light brown sugar
- 6oz sultanas
- 14oz self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1lb 6oz apple (frozen or fresh) chopped
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2oz butter
- 3oz plain flour
- 2 1/2 oz demerara sugar
- 1oz oats
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan) or gas mark 4.
- Grease and line cake tin with baking parchment.
- Make the topping by rubbing together butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon and oats.
- For the cake, start by creaming together butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, flour, baking powder and cinnamon a little at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add sultanas and mix.
- Add apple and mix.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Level off and sprinkle the topping mixture over the top.
- Cook for 50 minutes plus, until firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean.