The history of Tranmer House
Formerly known as Sutton House, it was not known as Tranmer until it was kindly donated to the National Trust by trustees of the Annie Tranmer Trust in 1998. The house was built in 1910 to make a statement of wealth and influence.
With the outbreak of the Second World War, the land was needed for military use. The grounds, including the mounds, were transformed into a training area for tank crews and huts were built as accommodation for the land girls. When visiting the house today, there is still evidence of the land girls within the house.
Mrs Pretty - an inspirational woman
Mrs Edith Pretty and her husband Frank brought the house in 1926 shortly after they married. Edith and Frank’s wedding followed a 14-year love affair due to Edith’s father’s opposition to their marriage. Frank proposed every year on Edith’s birthday but it was not until her father’s death that she accepted the proposal. The couple lived happily married in Tranmer House with their son Robert until Frank’s death in 1934.
Edith Pretty was an intelligent woman who had always been intrigued by the mysteries and secrets of the mounds. It was not until the summer of 1938 that she decided to investigate after witnessing ghostly figures majestically walking on the mounds. Mrs Pretty contacted Ipswich Museum for advice, through which she was put in touch with local archaeologist Basil Brown.
Sutton Hoo under the care of The National Trust
In 1998 Sutton Hoo was given to The National Trust but was not open to the public until 2002. Today visitors can enjoy the atmospheric beautiful scenery, walk in the footsteps of our ancestors and witness the resting place possibly of King Raedwald himself. The National Trust’s award winning exhibition hall contains some of the original and replica treasures from excavations. Located closely to the reception is a café that is perfect for a well deserved rest after a magnificent walk to the burial mounds. Most recently in 2010 Tranmer House opened for the first time to the public where visitors are taken back in time to the 1930s. Still today the burial mounds of Sutton Hoo remain a mystery.