The neo-classical mansion
Set amid more than 50 acres of Tatton Park gardens, at the heart of 1,000 acres of landscaped parkland, the elegant mansion house at Tatton Park sits in an elevated position. The impressive portico of the south front dominates the view of the house from the parkland.
Relax in the mansion library
The library room is perfectly symmetrical, in keeping with the formality of the neo-classical style. It houses one of the largest and most important library collections owned by the National Trust with over 8,000 books in this room alone, many still in their original covers and in mint condition.
Magnificent Gillows furniture
Tatton’s collection of Gillow furniture is unrivalled in this country. Wilbraham Egerton’s ownership (1777–1853) saw the commission of many pieces especially for the house.
Ask our visitor assistants about:
- Uncovering hidden histories
- The Maurice Egerton exhibition
- What life was like for the mansion workers
- Our diverse collection of paintings
- Our fine collection of ceramics and Baccarat glass
- Our books and archive material in the library, which can be read digitally on iPad
This painting is of Samuel Egerton (1711-1780) who commissioned it in 1732.
To view the full image and see more of Tatton's collection highlights, visit the National Trust Collections website.
The Egerton family collected many objects and pieces of furniture over the years.
The Peace & Plenty sign in Tatton's mansion.
With the aid of a grant from the Arts Council, Tatton’s team have been discovering more about the hidden histories of the people who lived and worked at Tatton Park in past centuries. The project is continuing but you can learn about our findings to date in our autumn exhibition.