Jasper Tudor and the making of Tudor Tenby
Going to the loo
Going to the loo was a draughty business in Tudor times. The toilet at the Merchant's House is in a tower on the side of the house. Toilet paper was invented over 100 years earlier in China, but only for the Emperor's use. It was not manufactured in Britain for another 350 years. So the Tudors used sheep's wool.
Did you know?
- We've given the house a new look. It's now as it was in 1500
- The Tudor Merchant's House is the oldest house in Tenby
- The merchant traded in cloth, vinegar, sea coal, pots and spices
- King Henry Vll's uncle Jasper Tudor had his power base in Pembroke
- Jasper Tudor strengthened Tenby's defences in the Wars of the Roses
- Tenby had a busy sea trade with the West Country, Spain and Portugal