Notice: Unfortunately Westbury College Gatehouse is closed to visitors until further notice. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Medieval gatehouse to the 13th-century College of Priests - where the 14th-century theological reformer, John Wyclif, lived.
The College consists of the gate tower, west wing and two turrets. These are all that remain of a medieval college of priests that was founded in 1194 by Bishop Celestine of Worcester and was later expanded, with the aim of converting the church into a cathedral.
The present buildings date from circa 1455 when Bishop Carpenter of Worcester rebuilt the college. This building was acquired by the National Trust in 1907 and was one of our first acqusitions.
The gatehouse has a strong community presence in Westbury on Trym acting as a meeting place for the local parish church and community groups.