To celebrate the launch of our 2013 list of 50 things to do before you’re 11 3/4, we identified the best places around the UK for outdoor adventures, including the greatest tree to climb.
In a bid to help children reconnect with nature, we asked more than 1,700 kids to vote on their top outdoor activities and reasons why, and then set about finding the ultimate places where they could be enjoyed.
50 things to do before you’re 11¾ has captured the hearts of the nation, and to prove it we’ve been shortlisted under two categories for the Brand Republic Future 5 Awards.
Help us win by placing your votes on ‘The Big Idea’ and ‘Audience Participation’ categories before the end of August, then pass to colleagues, friends and encourage them to vote too.
If you think our work on reconnecting children with nature is worthy of winning tell us why with #future5awards or #50things
Top ten activities
Video tips from our junior experts (and the best places to do them)
- Go on a really long bike ride – Wimpole Estate, Cambridgeshire
- Build a den – Lyme Park’s woodland, Cheshire
- Climb a tree – Wallington’s ‘the tree climbing tree’, Northumberland
- Cook on a campfire – Stackpole, Pembrokeshire
- Hunt for fossils and bones – Birling Gap and the Seven Sisters, East Sussex
- Discover what’s in a pond – Florence Court, County Fermanagh
- Track wild animals – Castle Drogo, Devon
- Hold a scary beast – Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire
- Go birdwatching – Kingston Lacy, Dorset
- Go on a walk barefoot – Strumble Head to Cardigan, Pembrokeshire