White Cliffs beetroot and chocolate brownie
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 250g (10oz) good, dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 250g (10oz) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for greasing
- 250g (10oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g (5oz) self raising flour/Wholemeal
- 250g (9oz) beetroot, boiled until tender, peeled and grated
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Grease a baking tin of approx. 20 x 30 x 3cm and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Break up the chocolate into pieces, cut the butter into cubes then mix them up a bit in a heatproof bowl. As the oven begins to warm up, put the bowl onto one of the shelves for a few minutes until the chocolate and butter starts to melt.
- Stir, and put back into the oven for a few more minutes to melt completely.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until combined, then beat in the melted chocolate and butter until smooth. Gently fold in the flour then the beetroot – be careful not to over mix or it will make the brownies tough.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top with a spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes. A knife or skewer pushed into the middle should come out clean.
- Remove the tin from the oven and leave on wire rack to cool.