History

1906: Winster Market House

Winster Market House has been owned by the National Trust since 1906 © National Trust

Winster Market House has been owned by the National Trust since 1906

This was the first property to be acquired by the National Trust in the Peak District. It is in the village of Winster, part way between the White and Dark Peak and now contains lots of information about the National Trust and the Peak District. It's usually open every day during daylight hours. Please call 01335 350 503 to make sure if you're planning to visit.

1906 was five years after Queen Victoria died.

1934: Dovedale stepping stones

Follow the River Dove down the valley and cross the stepping stones © John Millar

Follow the River Dove down the valley and cross the stepping stones

The stones were acquired in 1934 and are one of our most famous acquisitions.

People visit from miles around to cross the River Dove via these stepping stones and there are many great walks up the valley.

The year that Meccano Ltd introduce the first Dinky Toys.

Ecton Engine House

Ecton Engine House built in 1788, possibly the oldest in the world

Ecton Engine House built in 1788, possibly the oldest in the world

In 2008 the National Trust acquired Ecton Hill in the Manifold Valley. The land is adjacent to Apes Tor, a geological site that the NT has owned since the 1940s. The stone buildings on Ecton Hill relate to the former copper mine within the limestone hill, once owned by the Duke of Devonshire. Funding from an Environmental Stewardship agreement has recently allowed the 18th century engine house and powder house to be rescued and are now open to visitors on various dates through the year. 

 

 

Archaeology day

A day packed with lots of hands-on activities and demonstrations for all ages. Live excavations in Ilam Park, ancient jewellery making, Roman food, cave painting, dressing up and more.

Sunday 29 June, booking not required. For more information, call 01335 350 503 or email us.

Dovedale

  • In 1653, Izaak Walton and Charles Cotton wrote 'The Compleat Angler', making the River Dove famous for fishing.
  • The Stepping Stones were first laid across the River Dove circa 1890, as the area became more and more popular with Victorian tourists.
  • In 1934, the stones were acquired by the National Trust.
  • In 2006, Dovedale was declared a National Nature Reserve in order to protect its future.

Ilam Cross

This is officially known as the Mary Watts-Russell Memorial Cross. Jesse and Mary Watts-Russell lived in Ilam Hall and had a lasting impact on the look and character of the village.

Landscape

Climb Bunster Hill at Dovedale to see stunning views

Over 360 million years ago the Peak District lay under a shallow subterranean sea as coral reef. The limestone was formed by the millions of sea creatures, plants and shells of this early existence.

Share