A school visit to the White Peak area of the Peak District offers a wealth of new and memorable experiences for children of all ages.
The National Trust offers a range of led activities and walks in the area, for primary and secondary groups. Advance booking is essential for these. Tailor made sessions can be arranged - contact our Visitor Experience Officer to discuss details – 01335 350503 or you can email us.
Ilam Park provides an ideal setting for team building activities, habitat studies and engaging outdoor learning.
Tailor made sessions can be arranged – please contact our Visitor Experience Officer to discuss details – 01335 350503 or you can email us.
The Learning Centre in Ilam Park provides an indoor space for lunch or activities in bad weather. School groups are welcome to visit the shop, where a range of children's toys, books and souvenirs are available, along with postcards, maps and ice creams.
- Village survey – a short walk around the area to compare Ilam village with where you live. Hear the stories behind the Swiss style cottages, the memorial and the church.
- Pond dipping – discover the creatures that live in the pond at Ilam Park.
- Minibeast hunt – discover the creatures that live in Ilam Park.
- Orienteering - a junior orienteering course in Ilam Park.
- Natural art – explore the park to find natural materials and get creative.
- Peak District walk – discover the famous limestone valley of Dovedale.
- Ecton Mine – a lesson underground in the only copper mine in the Peak District.
- A Peak District farm - meet a Peak District farmer and his farm, see the animals and learn about what life is like for a farmer in the Peak District.
Discover the famous limestone valley of Dovedale, hear the tales of the valley and explore the natural landscape features. Discover the wildlife that lives in Dovedale. Take a picnic lunch by the river Dove during the day, weather permitting.
There are public toilets and a car park (not NT) at the south of the valley. A mobile shop and info point ‘Dovedale Barn’ can be visited daily from March to October. A range of ice creams, drinks, postcards, gifts and toys are available.
There is a small information barn and public toilets at Milldale, located 3 miles north along the valley.
Teachers are encouraged to make a planning visit due to the nature of the area. Severe weather can result in planned activities or walking routes changing at short notice.
There is a free public coach bay on the main road between Thorpe and Ilam, close to Dovedale valley. Please note, reservations cannot be made for this parking.
Planning a visit
To book your visit or to get more details please call Zoe on 01335 350 503 or send us an email.
Alternatively you can send us a letter to "Ilam Learning Centre c/o National Trust, White Peak Area Office, Home Farm, Ilam, Ashbourne, DE6 2AZ."