A school visit to the White Peak area of the Peak District offers a wealth of new and memorable outdoor experiences for children of all ages.
Explore Dovedale valley, visit a Peak District farm, carry out a village survey in Ilam, or have a go at orienteering in Ilam Park.
Sessions are run outdoors, so a picnic lunch and waterproofs are essential throughout the year.
To find out more contact Zoe Stevens, Visitor Experience Officer on 01335 350503 or you can email us.
- Village survey – a short walk around the area to compare Ilam village with where you live. Hear the stories behind the Swiss style cottages, the memorial and the church.
- Minibeast hunt – discover the creatures that live in Ilam Park.
- Orienteering - a junior orienteering course in Ilam Park.
- Natural art – explore the park to find natural materials and get creative.
- Peak District walk – discover the famous limestone valley of Dovedale.
- Ecton Mine – a lesson underground in the only copper mine in the Peak District.
- A Peak District farm - meet a Peak District farmer and his farm, see the animals and learn about what life is like for a farmer in the Peak District.
Visit Dovedale valley to spot wildlife, walk beside the river and spot fossils in the limestone rock. Dovedale is a 30 minute walk from Ilam Park across the fields.
Ilam Park offers a small classroom, woodland habitats and green space to play, as well as an orienteering course and YHA youth hostel.