Things to see & do
A naturally inspiring house and garden
It was in this bustling family home and its glorious garden that William Wordsworth learned the twin loves of literature and nature that turned him into one of the world’s favourite poets.
Explore the house, walled gardens and terrace at your own pace, or join a special talk or tour to find out more about the happiness and heartache that shaped the original wild child.
Our term-time programme includes audio, guided house and garden tours, as well as harpsichord recitals and costumed servant talks. Families can follow a trail, dress up, play with toys or turn detective with an Explorer Bag.
- Make yourself at home in our hands-on rooms
- Chat to the maid or manservant in the working kitchen
- Learn the horrible truth about Georgian life
- Taste an 18th-century recipe
- Explore the heritage vegetable and flower gardens
- Stroll on the terrace where William and Dorothy played
- Listen to poetry in the summerhouse
- Visit our Scots Dumpy chickens
- Indulge yourself in the cosy café
- Browse in our shop
Meet the ghosts in Wordsworth’s cellar
A host of ghostly characters, including Amy, the Wordsworths’ maid-of-all-work; Bill, the grumpy manservant; 13-year-old William, and his sister Dorothy, have moved in to share haunting and often heartbreaking tales of life in this late 18th-century household. Be sure to bring a tissue!
The servants are hard at work in the house on Wednesdays and Saturdays during term time – and every day in school holidays. Visitors can watch them cook and clean, have a chat, join them for a talk – or even help with their chores.
Some feedback from our visitors...
- Beautiful house – lovely that you let visitors touch and play with some of the items on display.
- We had a magical time – loved how interactive it was.
- We were told about the people and their times, rather than things. Excellent!
- Lovely atmosphere – I could move in myself! Thank you for letting me play the harpsichord.
- Superb – really well thought out. Engages adults and children!
- So many interesting things to see and do. Garden is gorgeous.
- The children loved all the activities. Very friendly staff.
- Fantastic experience. Very enjoyable!