Make the most of your visit
Wordsworth House and Garden is delighted to offer a programme of talks and activities to enhance your group's visit.
Book in advance to enjoy a free five-minute introductory talk by a duty manager, choose from our range of 10 and 20-minute talks, or book a garden tour.
Guided tours of the beautiful 18th-century garden are available with our gardener. The tours last approximately 20 minutes and can accommodate up to 15 visitors at a time. Price: £2.50 per person
Talks by costumed servants
Gain an extra insight into Georgian life by booking your group in for a talk with one of our costumed servants, available for groups of 15 or more. The talk is followed by an opportunity to ask questions. Titles include:
- Poetic remembrances of Cockermouth: How the happiness – and tragedy – of William’s early childhood in Cockermouth forged one of our best-loved poets
- The horrible truth about Georgian life: What it was really like to live in the 18th century
- Ghostly fireside tales: Traditional Cumbrian spooky stories William might have enjoyed
- Playthings and pastimes: Bizarre Georgian leisure pursuits
- Etiquette and excess: The glories of Georgian dining
- Turnip wine and capon ale: A tour of Georgian drinking habits
- How green was my Georgian: Why 18th-century recycling went too far for today’s tastes
- Herbs and hedgerows: Weird and wonderful 18th-century ways with foraged plants
- Sugar and spice: Exploring the Georgians’ love of sweet and spicy foods
All talks can accommodate up to 20 visitors at a time, with 12 standing and eight seated. Price: £2.50 per person for 20 minute talks, £2 per person for 10 minute talks, with a minimum charge of £30. Availability will vary, so please check with the property before booking.
Listen to the sound of 18th-century music played on our harpsichord in the elegant surroundings of the drawing room. Pre-booked performances last approximately 15 minutes, followed by the opportunity to ask questions. Recitals can accommodate up to 20 visitors at a time, with 12 standing and eight seated. Price: £2.50 per person
Make a day of it
Sample the home-made scones and cakes in our delightful café. We may be able to pre-book two tables for your use for the duration of your visit. (Café seats a maximum of 18.)
Why not spend the whole day in the lovely Georgian town of Cockermouth? Enjoy a 10 per cent discount on lunch at the nearby Trout Hotel (groups must be pre-booked) then browse the independent shops on tree-lined Main Street or take a tour round Jennings’ fascinating brewery.
We give free admission to
- Blue badge guides
- The leader of pre-brooked groups
We give a free hot drink and piece of cake to coach drivers in the café.
Tel: 01900 824805
We will try to ensure your booked group is the only one to have access to the house at the time arranged. However, there will be other members of the public visiting at the same time – unless you visit out of hours.
We look forward to welcoming you to Wordsworth House and Garden.