The Workhouse since 1824
The Workhouse was designed by a local minister, the Reverend J. T. Becher in 1824. His aim was to provide an economic model for helping the poor whilst reducing the burden on local tax payers.
Over the years, the Workhouse has continued to shelter those in need. Even in the 1980s, the site was used as a residential home for the elderly.
Workhouse inmates were bound to obey a strict set of rules, which were displayed on the wall. Masters were able to impose a range of punishments but for serious offences, inmates were judged by the Board of Guardians.