The Gatehouse at Oxburgh Hall
Reflected in the tranquil moat, the gatehouse makes an unforgettable first impression in this quiet corner of south west Norfolk.
The gatehouse is the best preserved part of Oxburgh Hall's original 1482 building and a masterpiece of late medieval brickwork.
Its circular brick staircase is one of Oxburgh's most interesting features, constructed in a complex spiral from ground level to the roof.
The two large windows in the centre light the gatehouse's principal chambers - the King's and Queen's Rooms. These are named to commemorate the visit of Henry VII and his Queen in 1487.
Later the family had a priest's hole constructed in the garde-robe (lavatory) leading from the King's Room. Crawl inside and imagine how a 16th century priest in hiding might feel.