Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time:
- Lard is preferrable but dripping will also work
- Grated cheese - the harder the better
- Boiled rice
- Bread crumbs
- Seeds and include sunflower seeds if you have them
- Chopped peanuts
- Dried fruit such as sultanas or raisins
Bird cakes are a great way to keep your garden birds healthy over the winter months. When the ground is frozen birds can find it hard to get food. This recipe will give your feathered friends a tasty treat and is great fun for all the family.
- For this scrummy bird cake, about one third of the recipe needs to be fat or lard with the rest made up of the fruit, seed and nuts.
- Gently start to heat your lard in a pan. Try not to melt it but aim to heat it just until it softens. Alternatively, if you have time, you could try leaving the lard at room temperature for a few hours. Then put it into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir well. It's best to use your fingers, but beware they will get sticky.
- Keep mixing until the fat starts to hold everything together.
- You can now fill a pine cone, empty coconut half or yogurt pot with your mixture. Leave it to set in the fridge. It should be ok to put out for your birds after an hour or two.
- Now all you have to do is sit back and watch the bird feeding frenzy