Explore the site your way, we can give you our recommendations as to where to start but we'd really like you to feel free to have an adventure.
- Meet the King lying in state surrounded by his treasure
- Dress up as an Anglo-Saxon
- Be an Archaeologist for a day in our 'Let's Dig It!' trench
- Sit, touch and explore Mrs Pretty's house
- Have an adventure with our tracker packs
- Explore the site with our summer activity trails
- Adventure playground and zip wire!
Whatever and whichever way you choose, rest assured that members of the Sutton Hoo team will be on hand to answer any questions or queries you might have.
- Visitor Reception opens at 10:30am until 5:00pm (11 - 4pm in Winter)
- Cafe serves hot food from 11:30am until 3pm
- Childrens menu available
- Booster cushions and high chairs in our Cafe
- Picnic benches (near parking)
- Anglo-Saxon dressing up activities
- Activity area in Cafe
- Programme of regular holiday activities
- Colouring in activities in visitor reception
- Pushchair and buggy friendly buildings (all on one level)
- Toilet facilities in every building
- Play area (near parking)
- Baby changing facilities in all toilets
- Nappy dispensor in toilet foyer
- Lots of flat green space for natural play
Gruesome Grave Burial Tours
Take a unique and enchanting tour of the royal Anglo-Saxon burial mounds with one of our 'Gruesome Grave' guides. These exclusive family friendly tours take place during every holiday and are completely free (just remember to bring an adult or two along). Dates and times can vary so it's best to call ahead to check and arrive early to avoid disappointment: 01394 389714
Make your very own piece of treasure to take home. Perhaps a helmet, a shield or belt buckle. Perhaps you'll put together a paper-bag puppet or some tissue flowers. Whatever takes your fancy you'll find something to capture your imagination with our 'Get Crafty' sessions. Dates and times vary so call ahead to check and avoid disappointment! 01394 389714
Be a part of something big, really Big! Using only the natural resources you're able to scavenge around you, our challenge to you is to produce you're very own unique and exclusive piece of art!
Join in with our giant collages during the holidays and do your part in creating a masterpiece!
Anglo-Saxon den building
Build your very own Anglo-Saxon house or den, if you think you've built the best possible den ever, we'd like to put it to the test and see how waterproof it is! (Sitting inside your den whilst we test it is optional!)
To help you build your den you might need to scavenge around for old dead bits of wood. Don't forget to take a picture!
'Let's Dig it!'
Become an archaeologist just like Basil Brown and get digging! Who knows what's waiting to be unearthed as you excavate our trench.
Seasonal family trails
To help you explore and learn about our site further we have regular seasonal trials for all the family to follow and enjoy.