The Fairhaven family

Lord and Lady Fairhaven

Huttleston Rogers Broughton, the 1st Lord Fairhaven (1896 - 1966) left Anglesey Abbey to the National Trust upon his death in 1966. He was born into an extremely wealthy family and grew up in the United States of America, before the family returned to Britain in 1912.

Henry Huttleston Rogers

Lord Fairhaven's grandfather Henry Huttleston Rogers (1840 -1909) began life selling paraffin in the local Fairhaven market. in 1861 he decided to try his luck in the oil fields of Pennsylvania, where 'black gold' had been discovered two years before. In 1874 he sold out to John D Rockefeller's Standard Oil, which came to dominate the industry, but he stayed on as a director, becoming vice president in 1890.  

By the time of his death in 1909, 'hell-hound' Rogers had amassed a fortune of $100 million. In private life, by contrast, he was warm and humorous and was a generous benefactor to his home town of Fairhaven.

In 1895 Roger's recently widowed second daughter Cara met and rapidly fell in love with Urban Broughton, a young English engineer who was modernising the Fairhaven drainage system.

Urban Hanlon Broughton

Lord Fairhaven's father had been trained as a civil engineer, helping to construct Felixstowe docks in 1883-85. In 1887 he went to the USA and succeeded in making his fortune in the booming railroad industry. Urban and Cara were married in November 1895, and their first son Huttleston was born the following year. His brother Henry arrived in 1900.

The Broughtons remained in the USA until 1912 when they returned to Britain, sending Huttleston to school at Harrow. Urban Broughton served as a Conservative MP for Preston from 1915 until 1928. Like his father-in-law, Broughton used his wealth for the public good. For example, in 1929 he bought the site at Runnymede in Surrey, where King John had signed the Magna Carta, because it was threatened by development. Broughton's philanthropy was recognised with a peerage, but he died in 1929 before it could be conferred. The title passed instead to his widow and to his eldest son, who together presented Runnymede to the National Trust in 1931 in his memory.

The 1st Lord Fairhaven

Huttleston was trained at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, and was commissioned into the 1st Life Guards in 1916. He survived the war and remained with the regiment until 1924. Two years later, he and his brother bought the Anglesey estate for the shooting, and as somewhere conveniently placed for Newmarket races and for the stud they already owned at Great Barton. At that point, they had no thought of creating a garden and collection. They agreed that whoever married first should sell his share in the the estate to the other. So when Henry wed in 1932, Lord Fairhaven became the sole owner of Anglesey and was responsible for creating the house and garden as we see them today.