A Spring visit to Bateman's
This spring we have lots on offer for every member of the family. It's a beautiful time to soak up the atmosphere of the garden and the Dudwell valley as nature springs into life.
Make the most of your spring visit to Bateman's
With the garden awash with bright and cheerful daffodils and other spring flowers, this is a lovely time of year to visit Bateman's.
This spring there's poetry and art and a great nature poetry trail to explore, suitable for adults and children alike, so don your wellies and pop on your coat and enjoy the beauty of the garden and the surrounding Sussex countryside with the family.
Spring storytelling and poetry
Our storytellers and poetry readers will be out and about in the garden this spring. Join them for one of the free sessions.
Settle down and be transported into the magical world of Kipling's characters, through the Just So Stories, retold for young audiences but just as magical for a more mature audience.
- Free 15-minute sessions throughout the day
- Follow the signs to find your storyteller
- Suitable for all ages, families are particularly welcome
For those of you who prefer poetry, join us to enjoy some of Kipling's verse inspired by this peaceful setting as well as nature poetry by a selection of writers taken from the I Am The Seed, a poem for everyday book.
- Free sessions throughout the day
- Follow the signs to find your poetry reader
- Suitable for adults and children aged 10+.
Art inspired by nature
Join local artist, Aimi Rifat, in the garden as you gather a range of natural materials to use in this workshop. Inspired by the garden here at Bateman's, you will explore pattern, colour, texture and shape using a range of different mono printing techniques to create a concertina sketch book of your creations to take home.
- Our nature print making workshop will be held on Wednesday 22 May 2019
- £50 per person, booking essential
- Book by calling 0344 249 1895 or online
- Held between 11am - 4pm
- Lunch included and also a tea or coffee or cold drink during the event
- All materials provided to create your artworks to take home
- No previous experience of print making necessary
Nature poetry on the estate
This spring we're introducing poetry across the estate. Inspired by the I Am The Seed, nature poetry book we're featuring a selection of these poems at various points in the garden and across the estate.
Pick up a map from visitor reception to find the poems and enjoy immersing yourself in the words and images that capture the nature around you. Children can enjoy a trail with questions about the poems and win a prize on completion.
- Nature trail runs from 23 April to Sunday 2 June 2019
- Available daily between 10am and 4pm
- Children's trail costs £2.50 with a prize for every one completed.
- Free poetry map for adults available at visitor reception.