Open call for artwork at Beningbrough
This autumn and winter, Beningbrough will host an exhibition of owl inspired sculptures and artwork.
'Oh wise owl' exhibition
Beningbrough Hall, Gallery & Gardens recently asked for submissions of artworks that depict or are otherwise inspired by owls of the British Isles. Beningbrough estate is home to tawny owls, little owls and barn owls, as part of the land it cares for. The exhibition title of ‘Oh wise owl’ is designed to encourage audiences to get outdoors and closer to nature this winter at Beningbrough Hall. Artists are exploring the nation’s love of owls through a series of artworks in unexpected places.
National Trust is a UK conservation charity that works to protect historic places and green spaces and open them up for ever, for everyone. With stunning gardens, 300 acres of parkland and a beautiful baroque mansion containing National Portrait Gallery paintings, Beningbrough Hall, Gallery & Gardens is one of York’s high profile visitor attractions. Artists were invited to submit works for exhibition in the grounds of this National Trust property, situated 8 miles north of York.
When to visit
The outdoor exhibition will take place on open days from 21 October 2017 – 25 February 2018.
We look forward to welcoming ten artists with 14 sculptures and a sound piece around the garden at Beningbrough.
There will be a complementary indoor exhibition on open days from 14 January - 25 February 2018.
The Hayloft* will have 24 artworks from 14 artists. * Please note the Hayloft is accessed by stairs only.
Thank you to all artists who submitted entries to the ‘Oh wise owl’ exhibition. We have been overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of the work from UK and international artists. It’s been an enjoyable but tough decision.
To those who were unsuccessful this time, thank you so much for taking the time to submit your work and please do check social media and the website for future opportunities.
Congratulations and thank you to the following artists who have been successful and we look forward to working with you.
Artists exhibiting in the outdoor exhibition
Artists exhibiting in the indoor exhibition
Notes for artists
- Artists will be required to submit a method statement. In liaison with the property team, artists will be responsible for the installation and de-installation of any works submitted for exhibition. Associated risk assessments will be produced in conjunction with the artist.
- Artists must have adequate insurance to display the artwork for the duration of the exhibition.
- Sculptures should not be larger than 4.5m along the longest dimension.
- Artists are invited to offer their work for sale, however works cannot be removed until after the exhibition closes on Sunday 25 February 2018. The price of works must include commission of 20%+VAT.
- The selection committee’s decision is final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
- Receiving days for outdoor artwork (if selected only): 9 & 10 October
- Outdoor exhibition opens: Saturday 21 October, 10.30am
- Receiving day for indoor artwork (if selected only): 8 January 2018
- Indoor exhibition opens: Sunday 14 January 2018, 10.30am
- Exhibitions close: Sunday 25 February 2018, 3.30pm
- Collection of artwork: Monday 26 February – Thursday 1 March 2018