Game lasagne with roasted vegetables
What better way to warm up on a cold day than with a hearty lasagne packed with flavour? This recipe is sure to tick all of the right boxes if that's what you're in the mood for this winter.
- 4tbsp vegetable oil
- 250g onions, finely chopped
- 120g carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 600g minced mixed game (we used 50% venison, 25% rabbit, 25% pheasant)
- 4tbsp red wine
- 200g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 2tsp thyme, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
For the cheese sauce;
- 25g margarine
- 25g plain flour
- 200ml milk
- 125g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150g lasagne sheets
For the roasted vegetables;
- 125g fennel, roughly chopped
- 75g carrots, roughly chopped
- 125g squash, roughly chopped
- 100g leeks, roughly chopped
- Heat 2tbsp of oil in a large pan then add the onions, carrots and celery and sweat for five minutes. Add the minced games, increase the heat and stir until lightly browned.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, mushrooms and herbs; bring to a boil, season then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce: melt the margarine in a large pan then sprinkle in the flour and cook until you have a thick paste.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until you have a smooth sauce, season with salt and pepper then add three-quarters of the cheese and stir until melted.
- To assemble the lasagne layer a deep dish with the game mix, lasagne sheets and cheese sauce (you should have three layers of game mix). Sprinkle on the remaining cheese, cover with foil and cook at 170°C for around 30 minutes.
- Whilst the lasagne is cooking put the chopped veg in a baking tray with 2 tbsp oil and season, roast until tender.
- When the lasagne has been cooking for 30 minutes remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve alongside the roasted veg.