Autumn wildlife spotting
Autumn is the best time to spot red squirrels, as they busily hunt for seeds and nuts on the woodland floor. The squirrels spend much more of their time on the ground, so are usually much easier to spot.
There is plenty to see this autumn on Brownsea Island.
Keep your eyes open for:
- red squirrels in the woodland - at this time of year you can often see them running along the woodland floor hiding their nuts for the winter
- autumn fungi on the woodland floor
- busy wood ants
- sika deer grazing on the grasslands
- listen out for the call of the green woodpeckers, you might even see them low on the grassland
- migrating birds on the lagoon